One year anniversary (Sweet +Modest Events)

April 3, 2018


Some of you may know, but I started a little event planning/styling business last year. Sweet + Modest Events to be exact. I marked April 2, 2017 as my launch date, so I have officially made it through a year. Hooray! I honestly feel like it's a miracle that people have actually reached out to me because there are SO many talented people in this industry. Definitely had some low points..but quite a few high points too. Here's a little glimpse of what the year looked like for S+M:

Some things I've learned:

  1. Stay true to yourself. Like I mentioned before, there are tons of talented people in this industry. So of course with that comes a lot of comparing. I started S+M with the intention of doing things a specific way, which was, like the name of my business, in a very modest way. My motto in life has always been that simple and sweet can go a long way. I definitely want to challenge myself, but I also want to stay true to my motto. There will always be cooler things and more beautiful set-ups, but I don't want that to be my motivation.
  2. Plan ahead/prioritize. With two little ones, there had to be a lot of planning ahead. You never know what surprises will come up (i.e, sickness) which might suddenly monopolize all your time.
  3. It's ok to say no. I think with the pressure of starting a new business, you want everything and anything. But it's definitely ok to say no. The added pressure and stress isn't worth it.
  4. Document everything. Take pictures of everything you work on. It's amazing how much change/progress you can see as the months go by. I mainly documented all the flower arrangements I made. See photo below (top was from September last year and bottom was from March this year). There is such a difference in depths/shape and usage of greenery. Still got tons to improve/learn and grow!

As for the future, I haven't actually thought that far. I don't think I really thought about anything except the now when I first started this. So maybe I should sit down and really think about where I see myself in a few years. The year was definitely enjoyable but it was also very challenging. I still have two young kids and a full-time job, so it did often cause extra stress and this stuff can seriously take up a lot of your time. Maybe it'll get easier as the kids get older or maybe it'll get easier with time and I'll have mastered the art of juggling things. We'll just have to see. But a big shout out to those who have hired me, encouraged me, helped me set-up, watched my kids...You all rock, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...